Friday, March 18, 2011

Class with Gidget

Had another fun class with Gidget last night.  I think I can actually draw this course out, no numbers though.  We did 3 different courses on this set up and the numbers would just get too confusing!  I cannot remember the first course for the life of me.  I do remember that the run went really well and the only thing we were really working on was going fast!  Gidget even had a decent speed over the teeter which she normally takes rather slowly.  The second course was the only one we really messed up on.  It started with the tire-weave-table-broad jump-chute.  I think my feet were pointing at the wrong pole (one of the actual poles instead of the imaginary 1st pole that usually gets her started perfectly) for the weaves and Gidget missed a pole or two, then I had trouble getting her restarted.  All this got me flustered and I wasn't ready for the front cross after the broad jump.  We pulled it off but it wasn't pretty.  We also messed up the end just a bit.  The end was teeter-jump-jump-tire which involves a nice little wrapping front cross around that second jump.  Our first attempt had Gidget back jumping over the jump.  Oops!  The instructor noted that I should not move past the jump.  It's more of a moving send to that jump then call the dog back around without going past the jump.  This worked perfectly when we redid the jumps.  The last run was a nice big clockwise loop starting with the tire and skipping the table, but instead of doing the tire again, the course turned in to the jump near the teeter then ended with the chute.  I used a front cross to get Gidget in the chute.  It worked, but again felt clumsy.  I wish we had more time in class to try things a different way, or sometimes just to improve a tactic.  I would have tried something different - rear crosses - in both the 2nd and last courses.  Oh well, at least I know it's something I'd like to try and can hopefully do so in future classes.  Happy agility!




No comments:

Post a Comment