Sunday, May 8, 2011

Thursday Class

World team tryout participents were practicing at Cloud 9 Thur. and Fri. so the courses we ran for class Thur. night was partially set up by a really great handler (she and her dog are now a part of this year's US team!).  The courses were fun and only had a couple tricky spots for Gidget and me.  Our first run was smooth and focused (for once!).  I had gotten to class early enough to do some obedience warm up with Gidget, that seemed to be enough to gain her focus.  There was some discussion about the 5-6-7 sequence.  Most people tried to rear cross the tunnel (myself included) and rush over to front cross before the dog walk.  Turns out it is much more efficient (our instructor actually counted out the steps) to do a front cross after the teeter then take half the steps that you would for the rear cross method to get to your spot for a front cross before the dog walk.  I think I had briefly considered this when walking the course, but I don't like doing front crosses after the teeter (think I just need more practice with it) so I went with the rear cross method which worked just fine for us.  I'm the youngest in class (though I think some of my classmates are just as fit) and don't necessarily have to worry about efficiency yet.  I do have to make sure that I get the correct info to my dog no matter what method I choose to use.  I did get a chance to try both methods and felt more comfortable than I thought I would with the front cross after the teeter, though it does still feel slow.  So I need to remember to try different options and find the best mix of efficiency, comfort, and communication with my dog.

The start of the second course was very rough on me and Gidget.  I just couldn't find a way to get Gidget turned and running at a good angle to take the broad jump.  I tried a C-set, running past 1 with her and doing a front cross before 2, didn't work.  I tried a lead out with a front cross before 2 which worked better but barely.  At the instructor's suggestion I tried a post turn and layering the pole to the left of 3 (oops, forgot to draw that in) but I almost tripped over Gidget before 4!  I could have tried a 180 with a front cross after 2, but I think that still would have been a bad set up for the broad jump.  I'm now thinking what would have worked best would have been to run straight out past 1 with Gidget, do a post turn out by the wall and run straight back over the broad jump.  That may have even allowed me to get a front cross after 2 otherwise I might have issues before 4 again.  The other part I was worried about was getting in a front cross after the A-frame (11) but it worked perfectly and I easily got Gidget in the correct tunnel entry.

I spent a good 6 hrs. at the AKC World Team Tryouts yesterday and another hour today.  I'll share what I learned tomorrow!  Happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment