Monday, May 30, 2011

Trial Report

Gidget and I ran in another trial today.  The trial was held at a big indoor soccerfield and it was a lot of fun to run on the turf.  Open STD was up first, right at 8am, and we were the first dog up!  (We ended up being the second dog because of someone's conflict with the second ring but it was still nerve racking!)  We got there about 40 min. early, set up, and tried to find the official measuring person.  We've been in 6 trials and that was going to be Gidget's first official measurement.  The measuring person wasn't there which meant I also couldn't get my armband sticker.  I talked to the gate steward, the judge, the volunteer coordinator all while I was supposed to be walking the course.  I was ready to panic!  I gate steward was nice enough to go get my sticker so I could walk the course for a minute, and the judge ended up measuring Gidget so we were good to run.  Gidget had eaten the half of her breakfast I'd given her and was very unstressed so she ran happy and energetically which also meant her focus was a little difficult to reign in.  She ran around a couple jumps and a wrong course, but after that tricky part of the STD course her focus came back and she ran the rest beautifully!  Unfortunately I was by myself for this early run and didn't have time to find someone to run my camera, so no video for that run.

Our JWW run was estimated to start at 2pm and I figured that was just too long of a wait for Gidget.  I didn't want a slow, off dog on my hands again!  So we went home and went back to bed.  Gidget ate the second half of her breakfast and we relaxed for a while before heading back.  My husband actually agreed to come with us this time and offered to drive, which is when we found out his car wouldn't start!  So we took my car and left a few minutes later than I wanted, but thankfully we still got there earlier than the 2pm estimate, the open JWW meeting was happening when we got there!  So I handed off my stuff and Gidget to the hubby and managed to get plenty of course walking time.  Once again we were first dog up (really this time).  I was worried about the early section with Gidget's focus issues earlier, but she ran it wonderfully!  She had focus and was happy and energetic!  There was a very fun straight-away in the middle.  It was going so well until that second tunnel.  Apparently I didn't slow down enough or didn't pull enough (in the video it looks like my opposite hand isn't doing it's job) or just should have used a front cross.  Whatever it was, Gidget took the wrong tunnel entrance then refused to take the tunnel from the correct entrance.  So no Q for us there either.  

After the run I went to try to find the VMO (volunteer measuring official?) to get an official measurement for Gidget.  I couldn't find her.  We waited at the measuring station for a while but didn't see her so still no official measurement for Gidget.  Luckily we already have a plan to get an official measurement at our next trial on top of not having to worry about getting a measurement the same day we run!  So we left and headed for Dairy Queen for ice cream for all!  (Gidget didn't get the cone in her pup cup though, but Gracie was happy to eat it for her when we got home.)  We may not have gotten any Q's, but Gidget's happy runs were enough to call the day a success!


No comments:

Post a Comment