Thursday, August 11, 2011

Jumps Anyone?

I thought I'd do a quick post on the agility things I've done over the last two days.  On Tues. Gidget and I participated in an agility demo for a big company's family picnic.  It was pretty fun.  Gidget's only difficulties were the itty bitty weaves (one person guessed 21" spacing, but I'd bet they were smaller).  Gidget's never seen weave spacing less than 22" so when she hit the weaves she got quite the surprise and almost ran into a pole!  (The weaves are 1 in the upper course.)  Her next two tries she weaved perfectly!  I was very proud of her adaptability in her weaving.  She's not so adaptable when it comes to chutes though.  They had a nice practice chute with a soft barrel, unlike the hard one she's used to, and she would not go in it for anything.  We had trouble with a chute at a trial back in June too.  I don't know where I'll find more chutes for her to get used to.  Anyways, we first ran a really straight forward course to get used to the equipment and the place.  Then some of the more experienced handlers set up a fun course.  There were actually a few obstacles before the weaves and after 10, but this was the fun part.  Front cross after the weaves into the pinwheel, relatively straight to the tunnel, (black course) a 180 ended with a front cross, then a front cross jump wrap to the last jump!  The red numbers were another option that probably would have involved just a front cross after 8.

The lower course was the set up for open jumping.  Both courses could be done starting with the dog on either side depending on if you started at the bottom jump or the jump on the right.  The black course allowed you to practice a send forward ("go") and the red course was to practice a lateral send ("out").  Gidget did pretty well at both, assuming I didn't screw up.  I also did some extra box work with her just for fun.  Gracie needed a little more practice but also did well overall.  With both dogs, I started the red course with a lateral lead out so that I could converge somewhat on the jump I'd send them out too.  Both girls did well with this.  Not much else to say about it, it was just a fun set up to practice.  A little bit of outdoor class tonight!  Happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment