Friday, January 13, 2012

Remember, She Can Do Agility!

The girls and I went to open weaves on Wed.  Nothing fancy, just 12 poles, 2 jumps, and the dog walk set up in a circle-ish shape.  We were able to work on some crosses and other basics.



Yesterday I was able to get some video of Gracie even though I'd gotten stuck in traffic and was 15-20 min. late for class.  Gracie ran the black course and we worked it in two parts, 1-10 and 10-14.  The video explains my mess-ups and you can see Gracie's one zoomy moment.



Gidget ran both the black and red courses and I didn't get any video of her.  Gidget did the chute so very nicely in class, hopefully that's a good sign for our trial next weekend.  There were really no major differences in how I ran the black course with each dog.  Though in Gidget's class I learned that layering the pole near jump 13 was a useful option.  It forced the handler to run a path that clearly said "do not go into this first tunnel entrance!"

Red course:  Please note the chute (8) was turned the other direction for this course, Gidget has not been trained to lift the chute and take it backwards... yet.  Rear cross into 3.  I tried two handling options for 4-8 and my first instinct turned out to work way better.  At first I just kept Gidget on my left and then flipped (rear crossed) her into the chute.  That worked just fine, but I wanted to try something else so I front crossed after the dog walk and tried to push her into the weaves after 6.  Had I pushed on her path just a little more, with more confidence it probably would have worked, but that's something we'd have to practice.  A couple of my classmates did 5 and 6 with their dog on their left and then rear crossed the weaves.  It's a sharp entry so hard to rear cross, but if the dog has the skill it's very doable and at least one classmate made it look easy!  Front cross after 9 then handle 10 to the end just like 2-5 (see video) minus the rear cross to the dog walk.

That's it for this week, class as usual next week and then a trial with Gidget on Sat.  Happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment