Monday, May 20, 2013

Is that a Border Collie? No, it's a Chihuahua!

The training school I attend and teach at, Cloud 9, held it's second TDAA (Teacup Dog Agility Association) trial this past weekend!  Gidget ran 10 times over the weekend and I was the chair person!

I was the first person there and the last (or second to last) person to leave.  I organized the volunteers and did several volunteer jobs myself.  I did a little bit of everything and ran the raffle too!  It was a lot of work and made me realize how much work board members of AKC and other big agility trials must do!

I was stressed enough by all the work I had to do that I didn't have any time to stress over Gidget's runs.  And you know what?  They went really well! 

At the beginning of the trial the judge talked about how on teacup courses, suddenly handling your Chihuahua is more like handling a Border Collie on full size courses.  Well if a Chihuahua is like a Border Collie, then Gidget is more like a Great Dane!  She was quite a bit slower on these courses than she usually is on full size courses.  She had to duck to get into the tunnels and couldn't move quickly through them, and she really didn't bother to pick up her speed very often.  She did bounce between two jumps once which was rather Border Collie like of her and fun to see!  The thing that made me happiest about her runs this weekend was that she did the teeter every time I asked her too!  That would be 7 times total over two days!  Yes the teeter is smaller, but I still think it's a good sign that our teeter issues may be behind us.  Not that I will take that for granted and let our teeter work slide now.

I fast tracked Gidget so we were in Superior by the end of Sat. and Games 3 first thing on Sun.  So Sat. our runs were Tag 10 (Games 1), Standard 1 (Beginner), Standard 2 (Intermediate), Standard 3 (Superior), and Snooker (Games 2).  We qualified in everything but Standard 3 where Gidget missed the A-frame contact.  Easy to do on smaller equipment!  Sun. we did Colors (Games 3), Standard rounds 4, 5, and 6 (all Superior), and Beat the Clock (Games 3).  We qualified in everything but the last game.  That was the hardest run ever.  Gidget and I were quite tired and the course was tricky.  We got through the hardest first section, but in the second section Gidget insisted that the tunnel was supposed to be taken after the A-frame so we ran out of time and didn't get enough points to qualify.  Oh well.  No titles this time for Gidget, but we had a very good time!  Here are the videos:

TDAA Day 1


 

 
I will be doing teacup again with Gidget, however I think I'll only do it at Cloud 9 as the chair person so that I can actually afford to do all the runs!  Til next time teacup, happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment