Friday, February 25, 2011

Last Class in the Old Building

I spent several hours today helping to move our training school to its new building.  I'll be there most of tomorrow and Sun. too.  It's bigger and better and very exciting for all of us, but especially for our instructor who's glad to be able to expand.  So Gidget's class last night was our last in the old building.

The course set up for class was fun, as usual.  I had some trouble with the front cross in the 4-5-6 sequence.  My original plan was to get Gidget in the tunnel and be on the other side of 5 for the cross by the time she was exiting the tunnel.  Well I'm just not fast enough for that and I ended up pulling Gidget towards me missing the jump.  I was advised to place my self in the middle between the end of the tunnel and 5.  Then with my right hand up, side step or back track towards 5 til she was committed to the jump and then turn towards the weaves.  My movements were smoother so her movements were too.  The direction I was moving told her to take the jump (as apposed to giving her little info by not moving much close to or on the other side of the jump), and having my right hand up prepared her for the turn.  It was tricky but it worked!  Front crosses are definitely my weakness, but I'm getting better!

My other issue was the 8-9-10 sequence in our second course.  I tried a front cross from 8 to 9, which worked beautifully, but didn't set us up well for 10.  I wanted to pull her from the weaves and send her around the jump, but it just didn't work quite right.  Another option would have been front cross crazy!  It did work for a few of my classmates though.  They just did a front cross after all three obstacles, it works but is just too much work.  The last option involved no cross from 8 to 9 then sending the dog out to the far side of the jump and ending with a front cross.  I think this option would have worked best for us but we didn't get a chance to try it.  Definitely something to think about if I see a similar set up again.  A pull and send isn't very strong for Gidget and I (unless it involves a tunnel) and an out is much easier.

Gidget's got her next trial coming up a week from tomorrow.  We're hoping for her NAJ (novice jumpers) title.  Keep in mind we only do one trial day at a time though usually 2 or 3 days are offered.  That will be 2 titles in only 4 trial days (takes 3 qualifying runs for a title and 2 different runs each trial day- standard and jumpers).  I still can't believe that we've only had one non qualifying (NQ) run!  Happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment