Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Weaves!

I took Gidget to our first weaves class in the new building last night.  A couple things I learned last night:  When pulling Gidget away from an obstacle it's best to not be moving much at the previous obstacle.  The sequence we were working on was jump-jump-jump-weave, but the first jump sent the dogs straight towards another set of weaves.  So I had to pull Gidget away from the weaves and turn toward the second jump.  The first couple times I tried I was moving with Gidget as she took the first jump and she went straight to the weaves.  By not moving, I signaled her to check back in with me after that first jump and I could direct her where to go.  Another sequence involved a front cross after a jump (I realize now that this set up was rather similar to the jumpers course that Gidget and I didn't qualify on because of my bad front cross) and the first time I tried I pulled her to me as I turned and she didn't take the jump.  Had I raised my opposite hand slightly, cuing the jump while letting her know a turn was coming up, before turning, I probably would have had more success.  I didn't get to try this, but I saw a classmate do it nicely.  My second attempt, I did make sure she was committed to the jump before turning so we were successful, but I think it could have been smoother.

This is a big week!  Gracie starts her contacts class on Wed.  Gidget has her first full class in the new building on Thur.  Then Sat. is Gidget's next trial and my birthday!  I'm excited!  Happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment