Thursday, March 24, 2011

Teeter Time!

At Gracie's contacts class last night we actually got to use a real teeter!  There were stools under each end of it so that it didn't tip more than 10 inches, probably less, but it was still a real teeter!  The goal was to get the dogs to drive to the end of the teeter.  To do this, our instructor got out a target and a can of aerosol cheese.  Boy did the dogs love that!  Gracie had no trouble hopping up and running to the end of the teeter, even tipping it all on her own (the instructor would catch the teeter at first to ease the dogs into tipping it)!  My biggest problem was trying to get her off the teeter and away from the target that smelled like cheese.  Definitely going to use that as a high value reward to work on other issues.  The can would be fairly easy to carry on walks. 

We also got to use the real A-frame at a lowish height.  They put a rug on the up side so that the dogs avoided learning to scramble up the A-frame.  The instructor took a treat and put it at the bottom of the downside to encourage them to run straight down the middle of the downside and keep their heads low.  I'm still struggling with Gracie's "bottom" behavior.  She just doesn't seem to get it and I'm not sure how to clear it up for her.  I can get her into the position with little problem but the only spot she'll offer it without getting off the obstacle is on the wooden board here in our apartment, and even then that's only half the time.  Definately need some help with that.

Now for a not so happy note... I took the girls for a walk today.  The trail wasn't plowed so it was quite a workout for me and the girls pulled more than normal since I couldn't walk as fast as I would on a clear trail.  I still enjoyed the majority of the walk though.  That is until the end.  We were coming around the last bend before we could see our building again and I could hear someone yelling for their dog, but I couldn't tell where they were.  Well we got around the bend and here's this little puggle like dog charging towards us, leash dragging behind, owner struggling through the snow trying to catch her.  I knew the dog was coming to see my dogs and there wouldn't be much I could do to keep Gracie away from her.  So I picked Gracie up.  This worked for a short while, but then Gidget's leash got tangled around my legs (she didn't seem to mind this loose dog) and the other dog barked.  Gracie started growling and barking and squirming.  I could just barely hold on to her.  The lady finally caught up and grabbed the leash, just in time too because I couldn't hold Gracie anymore.  She flew out of my arms and I held her in one spot until the other dog was further away and Gracie had calmed down.  I hate it when this happens, thankfully it doesn't happen too often, but it's still no fun what-so-ever.  In our reactive dog class it was suggested to teach our dogs to sit behind us when this happens but I can't think of anything that would keep Gracie there while some strange dog is bouncing around us.  Then there was the throwing food option, I'd have to have a steak (or just something bigger and tastier than what I normally carry) with me to get most dogs to look away from trying to meet an exciting new dog or person.  I'll have to keep working on better ideas.  Happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment