Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Serpentines and 270s, Oh My!

I took both girls to a jumpers class last night.  We started with serpentines (3 jumps in a line that have to be taken in an "S" like pattern).  Once Gidget was focused and I started her in the right direction, this was a no brainer for her.  However, serpentines are very new to Gracie.  We broke it down into two jump sets for her.  Out over one jump, back in over the next for a treat by my side.  She caught on very quickly.  A couple of times she thought we were done when we had a couple jumps left and she tried to run off to her kennel.  I can't complain about how much she likes her kennel, it is amusing though.  Luckily she turns right around when I call her name.  Next 270s (2 jumps at a 90 degree angle where the dog has to make a 270 degree turn from one jump to the next) were added into the mix.  Both girls handled this with no problem at first.  When they changed the course so that it was two right angle serpentines with a 270 at the corner, I handled it just fine in one direction but kept screwing it up in the other direction.  Gidget's barking sounded very frustrated with me by the third or fourth time we tried it.  In order to do a 270 the handler's body needs to face the dog's path, more specifically, the gap between the jumps.  I was attempting to do this but just couldn't get it right.  I'd turn too early, or get too close to the second jump forcing myself to turn, I even tried using the wrong hand a couple times.  I just couldn't get it.  When Gracie's turn came up, I managed to not completely mess up after so much practice with Gidget, but it still wasn't pretty.  Thankfully I have super smart and understanding dogs!  Happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment