Saturday, April 30, 2011

Gettin' Tricky

We had a couple tricky, but fun, courses Thur. night.  4-5-6 was our biggest trouble spot.  My first attempt led Gidget to the wrong tunnel entry.  My instructor told me I need to send Gidget further out from 5 before heading towards the tunnel.  This involved placing my front cross further out from the teeter so that Gidget and I headed for 5 straight on instead of at an angle.  Then Gidget would have a wider turn leading her towards the correct tunnel entry.  Another option my instructor suggested was to let Gidget handle the teeter on her own while I set up for a front cross on the landing side of 5.  This almost worked on our first attempt, but Gidget headed for the jump ahead of her instead of turning with me to the tunnel.  Our second attempt didn't work at all.  Gidget saw me moving away and hopped off the side of the teeter, scaring herself a little as the teeter went back up.  That was when we went back to finding better placement of my front cross.  Gidget needs a little more support on the teeter making it difficult to move away from her to set up the next move.  It'd be nice to teach her more independence on the teeter and other contacts, but that hard to do without owning the equipment and having space to use them.  We messed up one other spot, 10-11, when I turned toward the A-frame Gidget headed for the tire.  Just needed to pull her in a little tighter, no issues with this on the next course.

The second course was fun and slightly less tricky.  I think Gidget missed her A-frame contact due to me pulling away to set up for a front cross to 5.  She needs that contact support.  12-13-14 worked nicely with a front cross after 12 and treating the rest like a serpentine.

For a last bit of fun we ran all the outer obstacles like you might after earning a MACH title.  We started at the teeter and ended at the weaves.  It was fun and fast.  Can't wait to see that speed at a trial!  Happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment