Thursday, April 21, 2011

Weaves Anyone?

Both girls had different weave classes yesterday.  Gidget's class had 12 weave poles and 6 weave poles set up in a "V" shape.  There was also a jump that started out at the top of the "V" after/before the 12 poles (hope that makes sense) and then was moved to the side of the 12 poles... never mind, I'll have to draw it.
There, that's better.  The long black line is the 12 poles, the short black line is the 6 poles, and the red and blue lines are the jump in it's different spots.  The first two runs were pretty basic; jump-12 poles-6 poles and 6 poles-12 poles-jump.  Though Gidget was unfocused our first run, as usual, and took a few tries to get her weave going properly.  After that she was good to go.  Then the jump got moved and things got a little trickier.  We first did 6 poles-12 poles-jump, starting at the bottom of the map on the right side of the 6 poles and going to the upper left side of the 12 poles.  The poles to poles wasn't too tricky, it was the poles to jump that could get tough.  A rear cross before the 12 poles didn't sound like a good idea since it'd be tough to get a good entry angle to not mess Gidget up when I passed behind her, I'd be more likely to send her right through the poles toward the corner of the room.  I thought about doing a "turn" (turning her away from me so I end up doing a rear cross before the jump) at the end of the 12 poles to send her to the jump and probably could have pulled it off, the angle just didn't seem right at the time.  I went with a front cross after the 12 poles, which worked just fine but made me a little dizzy.  Our last course was just the reverse: jump-12 poles-6 poles.  Here I decided to try something new and fun!  I lead out from the jump so that I was even with the start of the poles but still facing the same direction as Gidget.  I released Gidget and when she got close to me I turned toward her and the poles like a front cross right before the poles.  Had the angle been a little less sharp Gidget may have gotten it, but she'd never seen this before and was unsure.  We got a second chance and she seemed to understand better but was a little slow.  It was still fun for me to try and something we can work on for the future.

Gracie's class was a little more basic.  We kept working 2 sets of 2x2's at greater angles.  The instructor kept pointing out how I was working the arc, sending Gracie to the poles from different places along an arc that prevents forcing the dog into too tight of an angle into the poles.  I'll maybe draw that another time.  I did need to work on my treat throwing timing so that Gracie didn't look back at me too much as she exited the poles.  My aim for the reward line wasn't great either.  Still 5 more classes to work on all of that!  They're hoping to have most the dogs weaving a straight line of 4-6 poles by the end of next class!  Happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment