Monday, April 25, 2011

Not Wise to Delay Note Taking

Thankfully I write my notes down right after class, this post is just delayed.  Gidget and I had a good class on Thur.  I had hoped to have some extra time before class to walk around the building and have some focus time, but of course I got there just in time to walk the course.  I did have time however to work a couple obedience exercises which seemed to help.  Gidget was much more focused than usual for our first run.  Between it being our first run and me not facing myself in the correct direction Gidget didn't take the A-frame after 5, she headed for the chute instead.  I needed to remember to be more parallel to the A-frame to tell her where to go correctly.  No more issues hitting the A-frame after that!  I used a rear cross between 6 and 7 but it didn't work all that well.  I really wanted it to work though and kept using it in other runs.  In our last run I realized I did have time to get in front of Gidget for a front cross after the A-frame.  Those front crosses almost always seem to work better, gotta remember that!  I stuck to the left side of the A-frame because there was less tunnel sticking out on that side so I wouldn't have to move away from the A-frame at all as I ran past it.  I did not think a front cross would work well between 9 and 10, much too dizzying, and I was right.  Using a "turn" move into the tunnel worked great!

I was very excited on our second run that Gidget took the A-frame and not the tunnel.  I made extra certain that I was clearly telling her A-FRAME!  I set her up before the first jump pointing right at the A-frame, led out and made sure every inch of me was parallel with the A-frame (except my head which had to look back at her).  I was very happy it worked!  I did a front cross after 7 to help make the weave entry easier and after 9 so that I wouldn't pull her in away from 11.  That meant I had to do a rear cross before 11 (this worked much better than when I was using it after the A-frame) with two obstacles left for a near perfect run!

Our last run was also pretty decent.  I used a front cross after 2 so that I'd send her toward the tunnel and not that other jump.  We had no issue getting onto the A-frame this time!  Then I tried that darn rear cross from 9 - 10.  It was smoother but still didn't work well, too slow.  Front cross is a must! 

Earlier tonight I took Gracie to a reactive dog obedience class.  It was a nice small class and I knew all the dog/handler teams except one.  Gracie does so well in a class setting, she was the only one who didn't react during the class.  People aren't going to believe me when I say she's reactive, aggressive even!  That side of her does come out now and then at class, but her behavior has improved so much in the year we've had her (it'll be 1 year exactly on May 7 I believe).  She's been one heck of a challenge, but I've grown to love her and am very thankful for everything she's continuously teaching me and the direction she's leading my life.  Happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment