Wednesday, July 6, 2011

An Easy Course?

I'm not sure if there's truly such thing as an easy course.  I don't think I've ever run a course where I didn't learn something new, which usually means there's at least some sort of challenge.  Even if that challenge is my mental state, my dog being tired, or thinking the course is easy and making a dumb mistake. 

I don't have much in the way of notes for this weeks class.  I don't know if that means that these were easy courses or if we've just seen enough of the challenges presented that I didn't feel the need to address them again. 

We had one tricky spot on the end of the first course.  From 11-12 I wanted to turn Gidget and stay on her same side.  Not sure why, but that seemed like a good idea at the time.  Realizing that didn't work I asked the instructor if a front cross would have been better (also would have involved me sprinting into position, doable but makes an error more likely).  She suggested just doing a rear cross (duh!), do the same turn but cross behind her over the last obstacle.  That way we weren't running into each other.

The only note that I have for the second course is that I did a rear cross over 10 to turn Gidget toward 11.  It worked wonderfully, though Gidget's turn could have been a little tighter.

On the last course I did a front cross (as did most of my classmates) between 5 and 6 to prevent a wrong course jump.  A few people had trouble with the non standard serpentine 8-9-10.  The key was to get a little ahead of your dog and converge to tell them to go in a straight line.  Getting ahead also blocks their view of the tunnel and A-frame, taking away any reason the dog would want to turn.

Gracie's last advanced jumping class is tonight.  Then next week she'll be in the beginner agility class on Thur. right before Gidget's class.  That will probably make for some long posts.  I can't wait though!  Happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment