Monday, February 27, 2012

A Good Agility Day

After a week off from classes, and a trial, the girls had open jumping and their regular classes this week.  There was a nice little course set up for open jumping.  I did a rear cross over 5 and a front cross after 7 for both my dogs.  Front crosses also could have been done after either 3 or 4, and possibly after 8, instead of where I put the crosses.  I also ran the mirror image of the course which worked out nicely.  Both my girls were feeling fast and feisty that day.  We quit after only two turns (you normally get three) because their second runs were so awesome, especially Gracie's, I didn't want to potentially end on a less good run. 

The courses for class the next day were pretty fun too.  Gracie ran the red and blue courses and Gidget ran the purple and green courses.


Red course: Some people had trouble getting their dogs to the weave entrance at the beginning.  I made sure I was pointed at the invisible first pole of the weaves before I released Gracie from the start line.  That worked well, she didn't even think about the dog walk like I half expected her to.  Front cross jump wrap over 3 and a rear cross over 5 with a send into the tunnel.  The instructor had us practicing rear crosses over 7 to the dog walk, but I think it was easier for me to get into position for a front cross.  I don't like sitting there waiting for my dog to get ahead of me, when I can get into position and be ready ahead of her.  Anyways, both options work for that spot.

Blue course: Dog on the left into the tunnel, the handler's body pretty easily blocks the wrong tunnel entrance.  The instructor had us practicing a rear cross over 4 this time, an easier spot for me and Gracie.  This meant a front cross after 2 then rear crossing over 4.  If the handler is fast enough, a front cross after 3 would also be an option.  7-8-9 is a nice diagonal to just run all out.  Gracie had some trouble with the tire since we were practicing with it at 20" for CPE purposes when she's used to an AKC tire which would be at 16" for a 20" jump height.  A lot of my classmates did a front cross jump wrap around the tire and ended up with their dogs back jumping or skipping the last jump.  If set up correctly a front cross works just fine.  I went with a post turn because I know Gracie can do them sharply and I wanted to set her up for a straighter shot at the last jump.

Purple course: Front cross after 3 and a front cross jump wrap around 5.  The instructor reminded us to have a landmark for front crosses, especially at 5.  A landmark is an item in/near the ring you can see and line yourself up with so that when you turn for a cross, you don't run into the next obstacle.  Dog on the right up until 14 where I did a rear cross to 15.  Front crosses after 12 or 13 or a rear cross into 13 would also work.

Green course: The chute was turned the other direction for this course.  I started with Gidget on my right and did a front cross jump wrap around 3.  I did a front cross after 6 though a post turn could have worked too.  The front cross tightens the turn and prevents off courses in that spot.  I then did another front cross after 8.  Then just run to the finish.

That's it for this week.  Happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment