Sunday, May 6, 2012

Running Contacts

Gidget and I had a chance to practice what I learned at the Daisy Peel seminar on running contacts on Wed. night.  We started on a carpet.  It's tricky to watch for the proper gait, so I videoed our turns so I could practice looking for Gidget's back feet split apart at the end of the carpet.  She does jump over the end of the carpet a couple times, but it's cool to see how often she gets it right on!

Next we moved on to practicing on a plank up on a table.  Gidget again caught on pretty quickly.  She did do a funky hop with her back feet over the yellow zone while still getting one or two front paws in the yellow.  She was too quick to see it during practice, didn't notice until I watched the video!  Gidget was pretty excited about the Manners Minder, but I did have a little bit of trouble sending her to it now and then.  The instructor had me add a target cue.  Saying "go touch" worked but we'll have to phase it out at some point.


We have another running contacts class next Wed.  Might not video that one, but I'll give a good update.  Happy agility!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ali, I followed you over from you facebook posts! Congrats on Grace's new title!!

    I love Gidget's running on the flat! I am eager to see how DP's method of RDWs will work for you guys as I've never seen her method from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete