Monday, July 9, 2012

Gracie at the A-Match

Gracie and I participated in an A-Match this past Fri.  It was at a different venue than Gracie is used to trialing at, which is a big step for both of us.  I was very impressed with Gracie's behavior when getting ready for our runs.  She had no concerns about pottying outside.  There were some tight squeezes to get past other dogs on our way to the ring, but Gracie was very good about keeping her focus on the treats in my hand.  It may be a managed method, but it keeps her happy and works for us in close quarters.  She was happy to lay on her mat and do tricks as we waited ringside for our turn.  I could see her nervousness at the start line, but she sat and did a shake or two so I wasn't overly concerned.  She did seem calmer at the start line for our second run too.

Standard was up first.  I wasn't expecting a perfect run, just wanted to keep her stress low and her focus high which would mean more fun for both of us.  Gracie started off quite well.  She was rather sniffy on the table (Gidget always has been at this venue too).  I need to remember to try to keep myself between Gracie and off course contacts whenever possible, at least in new locations like this.  When I released Gracie from the table, she had to go check out the nearby teeter putting her feet on it for a wrong course.  She came back quickly and weaved nicely for me.  She started to do the dog walk like she was supposed to, but there was something on the wall of the ring that was just more interesting so she hopped off to go check it out.  I would think only food would be more exciting than the dog walk, but I have no idea what was in those baskets.  So an RWF for that.  After that Gracie looked great, and it was most certainly a better performance than her first few trials.  I considered it an overall success!

We didn't have to wait long for jumpers (yay for a small practice trial!)  Unfortunately I don't have video of the full run (run out of memory quick when you forget to put the memory card back in the camera!)  It was great though!  A very fun course!  She stuck with me and looked happy!  I really couldn't have asked for more from my girlie that day.  She was perfect!  Here's the video of the standard run and the few seconds I have of the jumpers run:

Gracie did so well at this new location that I'm fulling diving into her agility career.  I just sent in her paperwork for a full on, two ring, nearly full trial at the end of the month.  The paperwork has to get there by Wed. for us to get in, so not a guarantee yet, but I think we're ready for it.  I've got a plan, so we'll see how it goes.    

Gidget update: At class this past Thur. we focused on building up our dogs drive through play.  It worked great for Gracie, I brought one of her favorite ropes and she was plenty happy to tug then run!  Food or play can work just fine for that dog.  I had a horrible time getting Gidget to play with me near the start line!  She has one toy she plays with and she'll only play with it if it's thrown and she can chase and run around with it.  I have no idea how to get her to play with it when it's in my hands.  The instructor suggested trying gently shoving her, grabbing her paws, other things dogs might do to get another dog to play, but these things tend to shut her down especially if she's not already in play mode.  So we tried doing a "ready, set, ok!" thing, building her anticipation at the start line.  That seemed to help, but not enough.  So at home now I'm trying to find ways to get her revved up.  Giving her a good high energy rub down and playing with her muzzle seem to work.  So we're adding a jump in with that.  We'll see on Thur. if we can make that work in the ring.  Gotta remember to keep her runs short and fun!  Happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment