Thursday, July 19, 2012

Rules of Play

For every game there are rules for how it is to be played.  That goes for human games as well as for doggie games.  A dog will let another dog know if they are not playing by his rules.  A human can let a dog know that they aren't playing by the rules too (i.e. stopping play when a dog gets nippy).  Some dogs are happy to play their human's way any place any time.  Some, like Gracie, can do that with a bit (or a lot) of work.  Others have their own very precise rules of play and it can be very difficult (though doable) to get them to play any other way.  This last scenario seems to describe Gidget. 

In my attempts to get Gidget more pumped up for agility, I have been learning her rules of play.  Once I have them figured out as best I can, hopefully I can expand on them so that we can play together in many ways.  Here's what I've come up with so far:

- At home just about any type of play goes.  Though Gidget is not big on tugging right now.
- At class touchy play (rubbing, grabbing, pushing) isn't the best though some is ok while waiting for our turn.  Tricks are better, especially while waiting.
- Chasing is the best thing in the world!  Gidget loves to chase her thrown froggie toy and kinda likes being chased by me (which I try to avoid) and chasing me.
- A REALLY good treat can trump a good chase.
- When our turn is up in class (or more so a trial) don't try too hard to initiate play, this is more likely to cause Gidget to shut down.

So with these rules I have a few things to think about:

- Gidget loves to chase so use it!  Let her chase froggie!
- We need to work on trading a treat for a toy, which seems to be very doable.
- Avoid running back to our spot in class to get the toy back.  Rewarding in the ring is preferable to rewarding outside of it at the end of a run.
- Just go!  Don't make a big deal at the start line, just start the game.
- Relax and have fun!  She'll relax too!

Finally, I got a few technical notes from my instructors:

- Throw the toy with my hand opposite of Gidget so that she doesn't start looking for it.
- Always look like you're running, showing forward motion.  Jog in place if necessary!  Anything to help keep her moving.
- You don't always have to send the dog just cuz you can.
- Keep courses short in class, more short courses/turns is preferable to fewer long ones.
- Try not to always start in the same place, this can be demotivating.

I think that covers what I've figured out so far.  Though who knows how that will change over time!  We'll see how class goes tonight and next week.  Then both girls are in a trial next weekend!  Can't wait!  Happy agility!

No comments:

Post a Comment