Tuesday, August 28, 2012

CPE Trial!

I entered both girls (Gidget was last minute decision) in a CPE trial in La Crosse on Sun.  I had some extra cash on hand so I could enter Gidget and I thought it'd be a good warm up trial for our three AKC trials coming up at the same place.  Gracie was in need of just 2 Qs to finish up level 1, so that was our goal for the day (on top of the usual: keep nerves under control and have lots of fun!).

Wildcard was up first for Gracie.  I had screwed up our first attempt at wildcard, but I had a map and a good understanding of what we needed so I wasn't going to screw us up this time!  The choices were (a or b) a tunnel or weaves, a single jump or serpentine, and a single jump or double jump.  We went with the tunnel, single jump, and double jump.  It was definitely Gracie's best run of the day.  Here's the video:


Next up was Standard for both girls.  Levels 2 and 3 had the same course and there was only 1 or 2 dogs between Gidget and Gracie (Gracie was first).  Ahhhh!!!  Gracie was a little off for this run, nothing major, and maybe not even noticeable while watching.  I didn't have her lined up quite the way I wanted so she ran past the correct tunnel entrance at the beginning.  Then she ran around a jump later.  She was a tiny bit slower here than in her first run. 


Gidget's standard run, was clean, but not very pretty as far as her energy went.  I didn't blame her.  I didn't have much time to sit and relax/pump her up before the run and the turn from the A-frame to the tunnel underneath was rather demotivating.  The good thing that happened was that she took the dog walk on our second try!  She went past it at first, but I called her back and did our start line "ready, set, ok!" and she did it!  With some enthusiasm too!  I will have to keep this in mind for our AKC trials.  

Gidget was in Colors next.  It was a nice short course with no contacts.  I had time to sit with Gidget before this run.  It went way better!  Sure, still not her usual in class speed, but pretty darn good for trials!  I tried to remember to keep moving, even when she was in a tunnel, and to stay with her instead of sending. 

Last for the day was Jackpot for Gracie.  I was pretty nervous about this one at first, the rule book made it sound very confusing!  It turned out to be pretty easy though.  Gracie was obviously tired at this point but was up for some more fun!  We made an attempt at distance weaves, but she popped out, not a concern at this point.  We got plenty of points.

The girls got 1st place Qs in all but jackpot, Gracie got a 2nd place Q there.  It helps when there's not much competition (make that no competition except in jackpot).  Gracie got her last two titles to finish out level 1 so she is now Grace O'Malley CL1.  Next year we'll work on finishing level 2!  Happy agility!


No comments:

Post a Comment